So maybe you have put on a little holiday weight plus that quarantine 15 and you are ready to shed a few pounds for the new year....
Along with following a healthy anti-inflammatory diet, exercising regularly, managing your stress and getting good quality slI am happy to offer you a simple health hack that you can add to your morning routine to help burn those unwanted lbs.!
We are talking about elixirs! Elixirs are water based concoctions that you can very simply mix together and drink each morning at home to gain tremendous benefit. You likely have most of the ingredients needed for these elixirs in your kitchen!
If you would like to watch the full Houston Life segment, you can do so here!
So let's start with the base:
1. Warm or hot filtered water (8-16oz)
2. Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Water in general is beneficial for your weight loss goals, drinking water hydrates the body and is essential to optimal health, but did you know it also aids in weight loss?
Hot or warm water of 98 degrees or higher kicks starts your metabolism and detoxification pathways while also helping the body burn calories and drinking water has even been proven to suppress your appetite.
Lemon has long been proven to help with weight loss. It contains a soluble fiber called pectin that expands your stomach and helps you feel full longer while also helping with healthy digestion, plus lemon water tastes great!
So here are my 6 favorite super beneficial ingredients to add to your hot lemon water:
1. Cinnamon- perfect for those who struggle with increased blood sugar, glucose and A1C because cinnamon balances blood sugar naturally. By regulating blood sugar, you are much more likely to reach your ideal body weight. Cinnamon also boosts metabolism to burn more calories and suppresses appetite.
2. Ginger - this herb has similar qualities to both cinnamon and cayenne, it is proven to manage blood sugar levels while also helping you achieve thermogenesis by increasing your internal body temperature. Ginger has some proven fat burning qualities and has been proven to raise metabolism by 20% for 3 hours.
3. Cayenne Pepper- if you like spicy foods, this may be a good choice for you. Cayenne is known as the warming spice that helps to increase your internal body temperature and boost metabolism. This process is called thermogenesis, you are heating your body from the inside out to burn excess calories. You can even add cayenne to your meals throughout the day to burn an extra 100 calories per meal.
4. Turmeric- this golden spice has been popular in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years and has tremendous health benefits, including aiding in weight loss. Studies show that it drives down inflammation to prevent obesity, it can reduce fat tissue growth, manage insulin levels, boost metabolism and curb your appetite.
5. Cumin- cumin has long been used in traditional medicine for digestion and weight loss. Cumin, like many of the other herbs mentioned, helps to manage blood sugar levels. It also aids in weight loss due to its leading ingredient, thymoquinone, which has been proven to aid in detoxification.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar- the benefits of the fermented apple vinegar dates all the way back to 5000BC and has long been used for regulating blood sugar, curbing appetite, and controlling cravings. ACV helps you feel full longer so that you consume less calories, detoxifies the liver and improves circulation. In fact, studies show 2 T daily for 12 weeks results in 4lb weight loss.
So go ahead and give these a try and get creative with your choices!
Generally an 1/8 of a teaspoon of each powder is a good starting point. With the spicy seasonings cayenne pepper, you may just want to do just a dash or two. It’s more about incorporating them into your daily regimen than it is about the serving size. It should be palatable and somewhat enjoyable, so experiment with the flavors and the dosing and do what works for you! There’s no right or wrong way to incorporate these into your daily regimen.
Cheers to a happy and healthy New Year!