Did you know that DIABETES is number 7 on the list of leading causes of death in the United States?!?!
According to the American Diabetes Association, 30.7 million Americans are currently diagnosed with diabetes. This number raises exponentially by the decade thanks to our S.A.D diet. If you didn't already know, S.A.D is an acronym for Standard American Diet, it's no coincidence that the acronym spells sad...it truly is!
So What Is Diabetes??
Diabetes Mellitus is a metabolic disease that causes high blood sugar and when left untreated, can damage your nerves, eyes, kidneys, and other organs!! The hormone insulin is responsible for moving sugar from the blood into your cells to be stored and used for energy. However, diabetes stops your body from either recognizing the production of insulin or prevents it from making a sufficient amount for your body to use.
Types of Diabetes
There are several types of diabetes that can occur:
• Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 – an autoimmune disease that is typically genetic. The immune system destroys cells in the pancreas where insulin is produced.
• Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 – the resistance of insulin in your body, sugar builds up in the blood.
• Prediabetes – blood sugar is higher than normal but is not high enough for a diagnosis of T2DM (type 2 diabetes mellitus).
• Gestational Diabetes – occurs with the development of high blood sugar during pregnancy. Caused by insulin blocking hormones produced by the placenta. Usually not diagnosed until routine oral glucose tolerance test or blood sugar test.
Symptoms of Diabetes
• Increased hunger
• Increased thirst
• Weight gain
• Frequent urination
• Blurry vision
• Extreme fatigue
• Sores that don’t heal
• Dry itchy skin
• Frequent urinary tract/yeast infections
Increased Risk Factors
• Being overweight or obese
• More prone at 45 years or older
• Have a parent or sibling with diabetes
• Have had previous gestational diabetes
• Have prediabetes
• Have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or high triglycerides
• Are not physically active
Increased Risk for Other Diseases
Not only does diabetes come with its own list of complications, it has other illnesses associated with it such as:
• Heart disease
• Retinopathy and vision loss
• Hearing loss
• Skin conditions
• Loss of limbs due to sores that don’t heal
If you or a loved one has experienced any of these symptoms do not wait until it's too late to find out you have this disease! Be preventative and proactive- or stop and manage it in its tracks before it gets worse...
Clinically diagnosed diabetes usually starts off with immediate treatment through insulin-dependent injections (type 1 diabetes), a combination of other drugs such as Metformin, Acarbose, Dulaglutide, Pioglitazone, Nateglinide, Canagliflozin, Glyburide (the list goes on), as well as a combination of diet and exercise.
I know I know, the list of scary hard to pronounce drugs is a lot to take in.... but they often become someone’s reality who is diagnosed with diabetes! That’s why I’m here to help! I’ve helped numerous clients MANAGE or MAKE DIABETES DISAPPEAR, yes DISAPPEAR! This is done through high-quality nutraceutical supplementation, a healthy diet, and moderate exercise!
First things first: I start clients off with a micronutrient test to look at any underlying deficiencies that could be occurring due to high blood sugar levels. This SpectraCell Micro Nutrient Test takes a deeper look into what is going on in your body and offers the most accurate scientifically proven method of assessing nutritional deficiencies. This includes 35 nutrient components including vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants within your plasma. The test not only identifies your exact deficiencies but further reveals any other serious health risks such as: heart disease, metabolic risk, inflammation, dysglycemia, and genetic predispositions.
With the amount of stress we put on our bodies daily, mental, physical, and chemical- diet and exercise alone doesn't cut it anymore. Proper supplementation reinforces all of the hard work you put into caring for your health! We can help you identify what supplements will be best for you or the following are all great places to start!
Chromium Synergy - a blend of nutrients designed to support healthy blood sugar regulation and an optimal response to insulin. This supplement is provided in a base of cinnamon powder, with cinnamon being well known for its aid in glycemic control.
Berberine - a compound found in the roots and stems of plants used in botanical and Chinese medicine, this supplement supports healthy blood glucose levels, regulation of normal insulin signaling, and healthy liver functions.
Metabolic Synergy - this multivitamin and mineral supplement has been designed to support healthy carbohydrate metabolism and protect the body from oxidative damage.
Even if you have not been diagnosed with diabetes, you can use these supplements to regulate proper insulin signaling and carbohydrate metabolism!
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of the symptoms above, go see your healthcare provider or book a consultation with me!
Consider booking a consultation If you have:
- been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
- been told that you have pre-diabetes
- want to be proactive and preventative
- have a history of diabetes in your family
Use code SUGARMGMT15 at checkout!!
coupon good through 11/30/19
Please keep a lookout for part II of my diabetes blog where I will outline what diet and lifestyle changes are best for controlling diabetes and insulin resistance!